Course Description: Chumash Shemot Part 1
Course Name: Chumash Shemot
Teacher: Rabbi Reuven Spolter
Text Studied: Sefer Shemot, Chapters 1-9
For Grades: 5-8
General Course Description:
Sefer Shemot is the story of the birth of the Jewish nation. The Jewish people transform from a tiny family to a huge nation, and suffer through centuries of slavery before Hashem chooses Moshe to free them from Par’oh and the Egyptians.
This course covers the enslavement of the Jewish people in Egypt, the birth of Moshe, his flight to Midyan, and his encounter with Hashem at the burning bush. It also covers Moshe’s return to Egypt, the initial failure to free the people, and the first series of the Ten Plagues.
We will learn the structure of the first half of the Sefer
The student will learn the following skills during this course:
- How to read and translate the text of the Torah
- How to divide up pesukim in order to better understand the chumash
- How to recognize and decode verbs in the chumash and identify shorashim (roots)
- Understanding selected comments of Rashi, Midrash and selected mefarshim
- How to identify key words (milah manchah) that repeat in the text and understand their importance
The student will learn the following Judaic knowledge:
- The early history of the Jewish people as described in the Torah
- Why was Moshe chosen as the leader of the Bnei Yisrael? What were some of his important qualities?
- What was the purpose of Yetziat Mitzrayim? Why did Hashem free the Jewish people?
- The struggle between Moshe and Par’oh
Number of lessons: 20
Sample Lesson: To view a sample lesson click here